Human GFAP is a 49,749 dalton protein (432 amino acids) expressed in astrocytes. GFAP is an intermediate filament protein and acts as an intracellular structural component of the cytoskeleton. During embryonic and fetal life, GFAP is also expressed by radial glial cells of the CNS. Various mutations of the GFAP gene in humans produce Alexander's disease, one of the leukodystrophies.
Antibodies to GFAP are therefore very useful as markers of astrocytic cells and neural stem cells. In addition many types of brain tumor, presumably derived from astrocytic cells, heavily express GFAP.
- Product ReviewsIt was great working with Neuromics. Pete was very helpful and very knowledgeable. Thanks for a great product (GFAP antibody) Product Name: Glial Fibrillary Acidic Protein (GFAP), Rabbit (Cat# RA22101) http://bit.ly/MSw6vc Organization: Case Western Reserve UniversityMadhu Ravikumar - Jul 27, 2014 - Rating: 5.0Excellent and quick delivery. Just wish the products could be a bit cheaper! Product Name: GFAP, Rabbit – (Cat# RA22101) http://bit.ly/MSw6vc Organization: Case Western Reserve UniversityKelsey - Jul 25, 2014 - Rating: 4.0I got my order in a good time frame and nothing was on back order. Have had nothing but good consistent results from Neuromics! Product Name: GFAP, Rabbit – (Cat# RA22101) http://bit.ly/MSw6vc Organization: Case Western Reserve UniversityKelsey - Feb 13, 2014 - Rating: 5.0
Leave a review for this product and you could be eligible for a $10 Starbucks gift card.
- Product Publications
- Soo Jin Park, Uram Jin, and Sang Myun Park. (2021). Interaction Between Coxsackievirus B3 Infection and α-Synuclein in Models of Parkinson’s Disease. PLoS Pathogens, 17(10): e1010018. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1010018
- M. Vassilakopoulou, M. Won, W.J. Curran, L. Souhami, M.D. Prados, C.J. Langer, D.L. Rimm, J.A. Hanna, V.M. Neumeister, E. Melian, A.Z. Diaz, J.N. Atkins, L.T. Komarnicky, C.J. Schultz, S.P. Howard, P. Zhang, A.P. Dicker, and J.P.S. Knisely. (2021). BRCA1 Protein Expression Predicts Survival in Glioblastoma Patients from an NRG Oncology RTOG Cohort. Oncology: 1-9. doi: 10.1159/000516168
- Rayul Wi, Young Cheul Chung, and Byung Kwan Jin. (2020). Functional Crosstalk Between CB and TRPV1 Receptors Protects Nigrostriatal Dopaminergic Neurons in the MPTP Model of Parkinson’s Disease. Journal of Immunology Research. doi: 10.1155/2020/5093493
- Hyun-Ju Lee, Hanwoong Woo, Ha-Eun Lee, Hyongjun Jeon, Ka-Young Ryu, Jin Han Nam, Seong Gak Jeon, Hyun Hee Park, Ji-Soo Lee, Kyung-Min Han, Sang Min Lee, Jeongyeon Kim, Ri-Jin Kang, Young-Ho Lee, Jae-Ick Kim, Hyang-Sook Hoe. (2020). The Novel DYRK1A Inhibitor KVN93 Regulates Cognitive Function, Amyloid-Beta Pathology, and Neuroinflammation. Free Radical Biology and Medicine. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2020.08.030
- Sora Kang, Ying Piao, Young Cheol Kang, Suyeol Lim, and Youngmi Kim Pak. (2020). Qi-Activating Quercetin Alleviates Mitochondrial Dysfunction and Neuroinflammation In Vivo and In Vitro. Archives of Pharmacal Research. doi: 10.1007/s12272-020-01238-x
- S. Jeon, S. Kim, S. Ha, S. Lee, E. Kim, S.Y. Kim, S.H. Park, J.H. Jeon, S.W. Kim, C. Moon, B.J. Nelson, J.Y. Kim, S.W. Yu, and H. Choi. (2019). Magnetically Actuated Microrobots as a Platform for Stem Cell Transplantation. Science Robotics, Vol. 4, Issue 30. doi: 10.1126/scirobotics.aav4317
- Abram Akopian, Sandeep Kumar, Hariharasubramanian Ramakrishnan, Kaushambi Roy, Suresh Viswanathan, and Stewart A. Bloomfield. (2017). Targeting neuronal gap junctions in mouse retina offers neuroprotection in glaucoma. J Clin Invest., doi: 10.1172/JCI91948
- Insup Choi, Dong-Joo Choi, Haijie Yang, Joo Hong Woo, Mi-Yoon Chang, Joo Yeon Kim, Woong Sun, Sang-Myun Park, Ilo Jou, Sang-Hun Lee and Eun-Hye Joe. (2016). PINK1 expression increases during brain development and stem cell differentiation, and affects the development of GFAP-positive astrocytes. Molecular Brain, 20169:5; doi: 10.1186/s13041-016-0186-6
- Wook Ha Park, Sora Kang, Ying Piao, Christine Jeehye Pak, Myung Sook Oh, Jinwoong Kim, Min Seo Kang, Youngmi Kim Pak. (2015). Ethanol extract of Bupleurum falcatum Linne and saikosaponins inhibit neuroinflammation via inhibition of NF-κB. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, doi: 10.1016/j.jep.2015.07.039
- Madhumitha Ravikumara, Smrithi Sunila, James Black, Deborah S. Barkauskas, e, Alex Y. Haung, Robert H. Miller, Stephen M. Selkirk, Jeffrey R. Capadona. (2014). The roles of blood-derived macrophages and resident microglia in the neuroinflammatory response to implanted Intracortical microelectrodes. Biomaterials. Volume 35, Issue 28, September 2014, Pages 8049–8064. doi: 10.1016/j.biomaterials.2014.05.084
- Frances Y. Cheng, Xi Huang, Anuraag Sarangi, Tatiana Ketova, Michael K. Cooper, Ying Litingtung, Chin Chiang. (2012). Widespread Contribution of Gdf7 Lineage to Cerebellar Cell Types and Implications for Hedgehog-Driven Medulloblastoma Formation. PLoS ONE, 7(4): e35541. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0035541
- David J. Gifondorwa, Mac B. Robinson, Crystal D. Hayes, Anna R. Taylor, David M. Prevette, Ronald W. Oppenheim, James Caress, and Carolanne E. Milligan. (2007). Exogenous Delivery of Heat Shock Protein 70 Increases Lifespan in a Mouse Model of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. The Journal of Neuroscience, doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4057-07.2007
If you've used this product in a publication, let us know. Email email@example.com, with the publication details and you could be eligible for an Amazon gift card.
- Related Products