This antibody was produced from a hybridoma resulting from the fusion of a mouse myeloma with B cells obtained from a mouse immunized with white matter of corpus callosum from bovine brain (1). Oligodendrocytes are myelinating cells in the central nervous system (CNS) that form the myelin sheath of axons to support rapid nerve conduction. Oligodendrocyte Marker O4 is an antigen on the surface of oligodendrocyte progenitors (2, 3). It has been commonly used as the earliest recognized marker specific for the oligodendroglial lineage (4 - 9).
Figure: Differentiated rat cortical cells were stained with PE-conjugated anti-O4 (filled histogram) or isotype control (open histogram).
1. Sommer, I. and M. Schachner (1981) Dev. Biol. 83:311.
2. Schachner, M. et al. (1981) Dev. Biol. 83:328.
3. Bansal, R. et al. (1989) J. Neurosci. Res. 24:548.
4. Bansal, R. and S.E. Pfeiffer (1989) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86:6181.
5. Gard, A. et al. (1995) Dev. Biol. 167:596.
6. Reynolds, R. and R. Hardy (1997) J. Neurosci. Res. 47:455.
7. Ono, K. et al. (1997) J. Neurosci. Res. 48:212.
8. Pang, Y. et al. (2000) J. Neurosci. Res. 62:510.
9. Cai, Z. et al. (2001) Brain Res. 898:126.