Glial fibrillary acidic protein (GFAP) is the 10nm or intermediate filament protein found specifically in astrocytic cells in the central nervous system.
GFAP is strongly and specifically expressed in astrocytes and certain other astroglia in the central nervous system, in satellite cells in peripheral ganglia, and in non-myelinating Schwann cells in peripheral nerves. In many damage and disease states GFAP expression is heavily upregulated in astrocytes. In addition neural stem cells frequently strongly express GFAP. Antibodies to GFAP are therefore very useful as markers of astrocytic cells and neural stem cells.
- Product ReviewsDelivery arrived on time and goods were in good packaging Product Name: GFAP, Chicken – (Cat# CH22102) http://bit.ly/1yJRMNp Organization: UCSDRin - Jan 21, 2015 - Rating: 5.0
Leave a review for this product and you could be eligible for a $10 Starbucks gift card.
- Product Publications
- J. I. Nagy, & J. E. Rash. (2017). Cx36, Cx43 and Cx45 in mouse and rat cerebellar cortex: species-specific expression, compensation in Cx36 null mice and co-localization in neurons vs. glia. European Journal of Neuroscience. doi: 10.1111/ejn.13614
- Juana M Pasquini, Francisco J. Barrantes, Héctor R Quintá. (2017). Normal develompent of spinal axons in early embryo stages and posterior locomotor function is independent of GAL-1. Journal of Comparative Neurology. doi: 10.1002/cne.24243
- R Joshi, JC Buchanan, H Tavana. (2017). Self-Regulatory Factors of Embryonic Stem Cells in Co-Culture with Stromal Cells Enhance Neural Differentiation. Integrative Biology. doi: 10.1039/C7IB00038C
- Ramila Joshi, James Carlton Buchanan, Sailaja Paruchuri, Nathan Morris, Hossein Tavana. (2016). Molecular Analysis of Stromal Cells-Induced Neural Differentiation of Mouse Embryonic Stem Cells. PLOS One, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0166316
- H. C. Hoyos, Mariel Marder, R. Ulrich, V. Gudi, M. Stangel, G. A. Rabinovich, L. A. Pasquini, J. M. Pasquini. (2016). The Role of Galectin-3: From Oligodendroglial Differentiation and Myelination to Demyelination and Remyelination Processes in a Cuprizone-Induced Demyelination Model. Glial Cells in Health and Disease of the CNS, Volume 949 of the series Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology pp 311-332. doi: 10.1007/978-3-319-40764-7_15
- Cinzia Ambrosi , Cynthia Ren, Gaelle Spagnol, Gabriel Cavin, Angela Cone, Elena E. Grintsevich, Gina E. Sosinsky, Paul L. Sorgen. (2016). Connexin43 Forms Supramolecular Complexes through Non-Overlapping Binding Sites for Drebrin, Tubulin, and ZO-1. PLOS ONE, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0157073
- Xiangchen Li, Yu Guo, Yaxin Yao, Jinlian Hua, Yuehui Ma, Changqing Liu, Weijun Guan. (2016). Reversine Increases the Plasticity of Long-Term Cryopreserved Fibroblasts to Multipotent Progenitor Cells through Activation of Oct. Int J Biol Sci 2016; 12(1):53-62. doi: 10.7150/ijbs.12199
- Paula G. Franco, Juana M. Pasquini, Lucas Silvestroff. (2015). Optimizing Culture Medium Composition to Improve Oligodendrocyte Progenitor Cell Yields In Vitro from Subventricular Zone-Derived Neural Progenitor Cell Neurospheres. PLOS ONE, doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0121774
- David H. McDougal, Gerlinda E. Hermann, and Richard C. Rogers. (2011). Vagal Afferent Stimulation Activates Astrocytes in the Nucleus of the Solitary Tract Via AMPA Receptors: Evidence of an Atypical Neural–Glial Interaction in the Brainstem. The Journal of Neuroscience, 31(39): 14037-14045; doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2855-11.2011
- A. J. Mercer, K. Rabl, G. E. Riccardi, N. C. Brecha, S. L. Stella, Jr, and W. B. Thoreson (2011). Location of Release Sites and Calcium-Activated Chloride Channels Relative to Calcium Channels at the Photoreceptor Ribbon Synapse. J Neurophysiol, Jan 2011; 105: 321 - 335. doi: 10.1152/jn.00332.2010
- Verónica I. Landoni, Marcelo de Campos-Nebel, Pablo Schierloh, Cecilia Calatayud, Gabriela C. Fernandez, M. Victoria Ramos, Bárbara Rearte, Marina S. Palermo, and Martín A. Isturiz. (2010). Shiga Toxin 1-Induced Inflammatory Response in Lipopolysaccharide-Sensitized Astrocytes Is Mediated by Endogenous Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha. Infection and Immunity, p. 1193-1201, Vol. 78, No. 3. doi: 10.1128/IAI.00932-09
- Min-Tsai Liu, Yung-Hui Kuan, Jingwen Wang, René Hen, and Michael D. Gershon. (2009). 5-HT4 Receptor-Mediated Neuroprotection and Neurogenesis in the Enteric Nervous System of Adult Mice. The Journal of Neuroscience, 29(31):9683-9699; doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.1145-09.2009
If you've used this product in a publication, let us know. Email email@example.com, with the publication details and you could be eligible for an Amazon gift card.
- Related Products