Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) is present in C-cells of the thyroid and in central and peripheral nerves. CGRP has several important physiologic roles: it is a potent vasodilator, and can affect the force and rate of heart beat; it can modulate acetylcholine receptor function at the neuromuscular junction; it has been demonstrated to block tolerance to morphine; and it can modulate antigen presentation in Langerhans cells in the skin.
Images: CGRP, IB4 and P2X3 staining in transverse spinal cord sections. A and B show low magnification confocal images of CGRP-IR and IB4 positive (A) or P2X3-IR (B) fibers. C and D represent high magnification confocal images from the middle third of the lateromedial extent of the superficial dorsal horn. In C, note that there is limited co-localization of IB4 and CGRP (in yellow). Arrowheads show axonal varicosities (boutons) from nonpeptidergic fibers in lamina I, which do not co-localize CGRP immunoreactivity. The framed regions in A and B indicate the approximate regions from where C and D, respectively, were obtained (the latter originate from other sections). CGRP (in green); IB4 (in red); P2X3 (in red). Scale bar (A, B) = 200 μm; scale bar (C, D) = 20 μm. http://www.molecularpain.com/content/8/1/64.
- Product Reviews
- Product Publications
- Elaine D. Por, Jae-Hyek Choi & Brian J. Lund. (2015). Low-Level Blast Exposure Increases Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 1 (TRPV1) Expression in the Rat Cornea. Current Eye Research. doi: 10.3109/02713683.2015.1122812
- Custódio AH, de Lima MC, Vaccari B, Boer PA, Gontijo JAR. (2017). Renal sodium handling and blood pressure changes in gestational protein-restricted offspring: Role of renal nerves and ganglia neurokinin expression. PLoS ONE, 12(6): e0179499. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0179499
- Abeer W Saeed, Alfredo Ribeiro-da-Silva. (2012). Non-peptidergic primary afferents are presynaptic to neurokinin-1 receptor immunoreactive lamina I projection neurons in rat spinal cord. Molecular Pain, 8:64. doi: 10.1186/1744-8069-8-64
- Tong Liu, Temugin Berta, Zhen-Zhong Xu,Chul-Kyu Park,Ling Zhang, Ning Lü, Qin Liu, Yang Liu, Yong-Jing Gao, Yen-Chin Liu, Qiufu Ma, Xinzhong Dong, and Ru-Rong Ji. (2012). TLR3 deficiency impairs spinal cord synaptic transmission, central sensitization, and pruritus in mice. J Clin Invest., 122(6): 2195–2207. doi: 10.1172/JCI45414
- Dongsheng Wu, Wenlong Huang, Peter M. Richardson, John V. Priestley and Min Liu. (2007). TRPC4 IN RAT DORSAL ROOT GANGLION NEURONS IS INCREASED AFTER NERVE INJURY AND IS NECESSARY FOR NEURITE OUTGROWTH. J. Biol. Chem, doi: 10.1074/jbc.M703177200
If you've used this product in a publication, let us know. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, with the publication details and you could be eligible for an Amazon gift card.
- Related Products